We want you to meet and get to know the people who make Lotzar Law Firm, P.C. successful. You will be working closely with our entire team as we advocate your organization’s best interests. Lotzar Law Firm, P.C. is made up of exceptionally qualified and experienced attorneys and an able support staff. We pride ourselves on the deep, trusting and loyal relationships we have built with our current clients and the integrity of our entire team. We invite you to read more about us:
Charles W. Lotzar
Attorney at Law
With more than 30 years of legal experience, Mr. Lotzar has distinguished himself among business leaders, fellow attorneys and his community. After a successful tenure as a senior partner at Kutak Rock LLP, Mr. Lotzar opened Lotzar Law Firm, PC in August 2005, to pursue other entrepreneurial interests.
Mr. Lotzar’s extensive legal experience has earned him various accolades from the media and his peers.
- Mr. Lotzar was recognized in Institutional Investor Magazine’s“Deals of the Year” for Innovation in Financing Single Family Housing in 1991.
- Since 1991, he has held the highest rating possible with Martindale Hubbell, a worldwide database of legal practitioners and he is specifically recognized as one of the country’s “Preeminent Lawyers.”
- In 2005, he was recognized by the Phoenix Business Journal’s “Best of the Bar,” “Top Three – Reader’s Choice” and “Peer Recognition – Attorneys’ Picks,.
- Mr. Lotzar has been recognized by Best Lawyers since 2013 and Super Lawyers since 2014.
Mr. Lotzar was a contributing author in The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts, Real Stories, Real Life by Robert T. Kiyosaki, published by the Perseus Books Group, May 12, 2009.
Mr. Lotzar focuses on solving problems and making deals happen. He applies his experience from prior transactions to develop innovative and effective solutions to complex problems for innovative entrepreneurial individuals and companies. His legal practice areas include business planning, business transactions, real estate development and real estate finance, including the issuance of tax-exempt bonds and syndication of low-income housing tax credits.
Mr. Lotzar has extensive experience dealing with public contracts and issues related to public officials and he has been involved in bond financings with an aggregate value in excess of $5 billion.
Mr. Lotzar earned his Bachelor of Arts in Business from Michigan State University in 1982 and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Detroit School of Law in 1985. He and his wife, Mary Sue, also an attorney with Lotzar Law Firm, P.C., have been married since 1987, reside in Scottsdale, and they have 3 adult children.
Mr. Lotzar displays his commitment to his community through:
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Phoenix 2011 – Present.
- Arizona Business Leadership Association, Inc. – President, 2004 – 2005; Director, 2001 – 2009.
- City of Scottsdale – Vice Chair and Member of the Planning Commission and Development Review Board, 2000 – 2003; Board of Adjustment, 1998 – 2000.
- Scottsdale Unified School District – Helped obtain more than $300,000 in grant funding for, and planning and development of, Little League baseball, soccer and lacrosse fields at CochiseElementary School.
- Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.-Community Contribution Award recipient, 1996.
- Fiesta Bowl – Outside Legal Counsel 1986 – 1996.
Pro Bono service annually to a variety of non-profit organizations and numerous individuals in need of legal services.
- Tiempo, Inc. – Board of Directors, 1988 – 1999.
- Pro Bono service annually to a variety of non-profit organizations and numerous individuals in need of legal services.
- McCormick Ranch Little League – Member of the Board of Directors, 2000 – 2006. Role as either Manager or Coach, 1997 – 2006.
- Arcadia Scottsdale United Soccer Association – Coach, 2001 – 2006.
- Scottsdale Miss Softball – Coach, 2005 – 2008.
Mr. Lotzar is a fitness enthusiast and he competes in many forms of athletic contests, including the 2010 Ironman Arizona (PR 14:13:44) and 3 New York City Marathons (PR 3:57:20).
Mary Sue Lotzar
Attorney at Law
Mary Sue Lotzar has been a member of the Lotzar Law Firm, P.C., since its inception in 2005 and currently practices in the areas of low-income housing tax credits, real estate development and real estate and commercial transactions.
Mrs. Lotzar has been the most prolific commentator on Arizona’s current Qualified Allocation Plan for allocation of low-income housing tax credits and actively assists Arizona’s affordable housing trade association. Many of Mrs. Lotzar’s past affordable projects have competed and won national awards.
Prior to joining Lotzar Law Firm, PC, Mrs. Lotzar worked as an attorney with Gust, Rosenfeld & Henderson in Phoenix. She earned her J.D., with distinction, at Arizona State University College of Law and her B.A. with honors at the University of Michigan.
Mrs. Lotzar and her husband, Chuck, also an attorney with Lotzar Law Firm, P.C., have been married since 1987, reside in Scottsdale, and they have 3 adult children.
Affordable Housing Consultant/COO
Eric Schaefer is a Certified Public Accountant who is the Lotzar Law Firm, PC ‘s Affordable Housing Consultant and Chief Operating Officer.
Mr. Schaefer has over 35 years of financial and operations business experience. After working in public accounting, Mr. Schaefer has worked in the real estate construction, real estate development, real property management and waste management industries.
Mr. Schaefer has Bachelor of Arts from Hope College in Holland, Michigan.
During his career, he has served on the Planning Commission for the City of Novi, Michigan and the Board of Directors for Museo Chicano in Phoenix, Arizona.
Mr. Schaefer is married with 2 adult children. He enjoys spending time outdoors boating, fishing, hunting and playing golf.
Affordable Housing Consultant
While not an attorney, Randy G. Archuleta is the firm’s resident Affordable Housing Consultant.
Mr. Archuleta’s career in the low-income housing tax credit field spans over 30 years. Mr. Archuleta joined the firm in 2010. He served 7 years as the Rental Programs Administrator for the Arizona Department of Housing (2003 through 2010), and served in comparable positions with The Utah Housing Finance Agency (11 years) and the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (7 years). Mr. Archuleta is one of only a handful of state administrators who has worked in the low-income housing tax credit program since its inception.
In 2010, Mr. Archuleta received 2 coveted industry recognitions. A Lifetime Achievement Award from the Spectrum Company, and he was inducted into the Affordable Housing Hall of Fame by the National Equity Fund and National Council of State Housing Agencies.
Mr. Archuleta also holds both the Spectrum C10P, and the National Home Builders’ Association’s Housing Credit Certified Professional (“HCCP”) designations.